Thursday, March 1, 2012

I'm No Sailor, I Want to Rock the Boat



This song makes me so happy. It makes me want to jump up and down singing into a hairbrush. Let it be known that there are very few songs that make me feel like that. Here is the comprehensive list:




And that is my list. All of those plus blue hair. That is how big of a deal that song is to me now. It is way up there. I sing along to a lot of songs, but I don't jam out with hairbrushes and stuff all the time. I am one of the few people in my ward that knows how to dye their own hair. I'm actually thinking about going blonde again soon. Not white, but lighter. I like it. Maybe red again, who knows?

But I love the rebellion that is in that song. She is not rebelling against anyone and it is not really on a super deep level. She is simply doing it because she can and it would be fun. She likes it and there is no law saying that she can't do it, so why not? I covered my entire room in photographs that I have taken. Plenty of people have asked my 'why'. I just tell them it's because I like pictures and I could do it. Why do I do a lot of things? Because I can. Because the opportunity is there and I would be a fool not to seize it and find something out about myself.

There are so many things that people don't do because they are afraid. They are afraid of the opinions of other people, or the fear of the unknown, or the fear of allowing themselves to do something out of character and that they might like it and have to redefine themselves. The thing is, other people don't give a crap what you do. Maybe they will think you are weird, but there is always a good amount of people that will think whatever you did was cool or have already done that. "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." 

 The unknown is a beautiful thing and that is the only way you can do anything in the world now. So much is known that when you find something that is unknown, you have to seize it and do all that you can do make the most of that chance. The unknown is a transient, beautiful entity and can change your life for the better if you let it. It has done that to mine.

Finally, don't be afraid of yourself. Who said that you had to be true to the image that people see of you? That doesn't mean look like a goody-two-shoes and act like a harlot. What it means is that you can't let other people define you. You define you. Other people see an image but they don't know the story behind it or the dried paint layers lying beneath the facade that makes it what it is today. Do NOT let other people tell you who you are and how you are defined. You are your own beautiful celestial spirit. You have a light that can only shine out of your unique eyes.

That is why I like "Blue Hair".

I'm in the mood to just create playlists tonight. So here are a few random ones that I just felt like coming up with. I blame Nick for getting me started on this.

Here is my "Life" mixtape:



Here is my "Thinking about a boy that I used to know" mix tape.



That's all I've got tonight. I need to hit the hay because I'm getting up early and I didn't get home until after one last night. Yeah, crazy night. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment