Monday, July 26, 2010

Make it so Number One

Summer 2010, best summer.

You always hear the stories about the "summer before senior year" whether its in a movie, cheesy romance novel, or song by Don Henley, Kid Rock, or whoever. But this summer was different.

I met some absolutely amazing people and went to both Girls Camp AND Youth Conference (long story about why I've hardly ever been able to do both). The two activities gave me a new perspective and I emerged ever more confident in myself because of it. And for that, I am grateful.

I've been to a family reunion where I got to give all the women henna(: It was a new experience for them. And went boating, swimming, and got to go into an awesome Bass Pro Shop.

Finally, for the past few weeks I've been camping with my family in some beautiful parts of America. Which was so incredibly fun! Despite the HOURS we spent in the car (6 people plus 2 dogs).

This summer has helped me realize some things. And change future plans. For example: my mom and I were going to backpack across Europe (specifically: Italy) for my graduation present. Now we've changed it. We're thinking that instead we're going to outfit me with my own kayak, tent, backpack, stove, etc. That way I can go off on my own in college.

While I was on my trip, I read some poetry (selections from NPR's All Things Considered) and found a line in one of Naomi Shihab Nye's that I love!

Everything we have learned so far,
skins alive and ripening, on a day
that was real to us, that was summer,
motion going out, and memory coming in.

And that concludes my initial post. In hopes of more to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment