Monday, December 27, 2010

I deconstruct my thoughts at this piano

As I was walking through the stores today, I was doing some solo shopping, and I heard the song: "Collide" by Howie Day. I'm sure you've heard it. Almost every adolescent teen has.

It always reminds me of Jakarta. If you don't know, the two years I spent in Jakarta were some of the most formative I've ever had. It made me who I am today in a way that nothing else, save my religion, has.

The particular memory that came to mind today was of the Cilandak Talent Show thing my seventh grade year. I was the lights girl, and as usual I was doing lights for this show. Therefore I was able to see the show beforehand. This one guy sang Collide and I asked him why. He said it was for his girlfriend. When he sang it I made sure to look at her face. She was crying. I thought it was one of the sweetest things I've ever witnessed. I wondered how it could be that two eighth graders (they were a year older than me) could be connected that deeply. I know that through my description they did not seem too extraordinary. But when they looked at each other, there was no way to doubt the intensity of the connection there. They understood each other fully.

I realized it is because being overseas changes you. That is where I found a friend that I can remain best friends with, even though we don't talk for years. You cling to what you know, and you learn to become friends quick. You reach a higher level when you move overseas. It changes the way of thinking. One of the ways I know this is because I'll be friends with a person and we'll be good friends and I'll find out that they are overseas kids too.

I don't know why I wrote this, all I know is that I was impressed to do so.

Moving on.

Well. Actually I can't think of anything else. The stars have ceased to be a muse for the past few weeks due to lack of them thanks to the weather. And yeah, that's about it. Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment